CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Car shopping -- Day 1

It is done! I have signed the papers, given up custody of my first-born, taken the keys to the new car, and called it a night.

You know my story cannot be that short. I mean really, are you new?! Let us start at the beginning and jump around a little.

First, if any of you are in the market for a Lexus, I went to the kindest salesman ever at the Lexus dealership. If you are in the market, let me know and I will pass along his name.  He actually got me into an IS 250 for exactly my budget. It was amazing! Except the fact that it was a lease and at the end of 4 years I would have nothing…little car savings (tires alone are $800 a year) and no trade in. But I would have free valet parking at Ranger games for 4 years! It was a tough decision, but I walked away from the gorgeous car and all the perks.

Volkswagen was next. Cate, I wish you had warned me earlier. It was awful! The Passat and the Jetta were not too bad, just a loud ride. The finance people on the other hand sucked ass. (I have abandoned my desire to watch my language when dealing with the car stuff.) They came back with a monthly payment of $125 more per month than the Lexus folks. WHO WOULD TAKE THAT?! I really thought my dad was going to rip off the guy’s head with his bare hands so we left…in a hurry.

Honda was third and this is where dad left me on my own. I felt like I was in good hands. I drove 3 different Hondas and really felt like I could drive off with one. As much I put up a fight, it was a nice car and could go until the wheels fell off. I go in to negotiate and an hour and a half later some punk comes out and refuses to give me an estimated monthly payment. He tells me he cannot give it to me because I may wait until Monday to buy the car. I look at his “bottom line”, which is $600 below sticker, and I ask for $2000 more. Completely prepared to take $1000. Basically, he is just a complete jerk about the situation and I quickly realize they have met their quota and do not want my business. I leave depressed.

Next up, the GMC place that is in the same family as the Lexus dealership. They took care of me in the morning. I know they will be nice in the evening. I was right. I drove the Yukon and loved it, but it was HUGE coming from a MINI. I drive another car, but end up just calling it a day. I had shopped from 9:30 that morning and walked out of the last place at 6:40 with nothing.

Stay tuned tomorrow for the new car!

25worstcar.600.jpg

6 comments:

jmt said...

Car shopping just stinks. I hope it gets better....is there a Toyota shop around? They have some really good options too. :)

Ritch in Love said...

Car Shopping is awful sometimes!! I have a Jetta that I bought brand new 8 years ago. It's still going strong but I will never buy another one as long as I live! She rarely gets to drive around town these days...but it's good to know she's there! Excited to see your car!

Monica said...

You'd think in this economy they'd pay YOU to take a car! They just suck all the fun out of shopping, you know?

Call Me Cate said...

My Jetta is what we like to call a "learning experience". It was our first new car purchase and we got screwed on the price. Then the car started having repeated problems, all of which were covered by the warranty, but it was still time and frustration. I had to have the car towed with less than 5k miles on it. And at 8k miles, it stranded us on the side of the road.

I think it was 18 months old and had about 10k miles on it when I traded it in on my Accord. And you know what? There are still times I miss that Jetta. I really loved that car but it really screwed me over. The Accord has been a dream by comparison.

Can't wait to see what you ended up with!

Just say Julie said...

I so wish I could have seen you car shop. I think you and Bob may have a similar approach.
And I think Will will always refer to green mini's as miss colleen's car :)

Lisa said...

Your killing me. I can't believe you drove a Yukon... that would like driving an airplane compared to a mini! YEah those Honda sales people get a little cocky about their cars. They don't negotiate much. When we got my Accord I think we only got about $3K off sticker and that was at the end of the year when they were making "deals". I'm sure you got the perfect car for you!!

Shoot I drive an Expedition now and its Huge but I love it!